Saturday, March 5, 2011

Panoptikon - A Suite in Six Parts (1995)

So  I was browsing in a used book shop one day in 1995, when I couldn't help but notice the killer space-funk playing throughout the store, and at louder than bookstore levels. Naturally when I was paying at the register I had to ask the store clerk who it was. "It's music I made myself!" replied the nerdy twenty something. "I call it Panoptikon. I've been trying to get the DJ's interested in it, but they say it's too weird for the dancefloor." I said I really liked it, so he pulled out the vinyl record we have here and sold it to me for six dollars. He said he had pressed a few hundred and was trying to get them out.

Over the years since this incident, I have been consistently amazed at how fucking great this is every time I play it. Just pure enjoyment. Lot's of samples layered over sampled grooves, with added sounds and electronics. Overall it has a warm, playful funkiness that moves and grooves the lunar nodules.

Exceedingly rare yet perfect from start to finish!

Space Funk Groove Collage

Panoptikon - A Suite in Six Parts
Vinyl rip@320 artwork included
MediFire

No comments: