Friday, March 4, 2011

China Shop - 21 Puffs on the Cassette Masters (1981 - 82)




Click on image for enlargement.


Recordings from 1981 - 82
New Wave / No Wave

These guys were simply incredible. Easily some of the best music being made at that time in New York City. Their only record was a four song EP called Atomic Notions, all of which is included here. 21 Puffs on the Cassette Masters was a homemade CDR put out by band member Steve Cohen in the mid 00's. Don't know how many he made or how many stores carried it, but as soon as I saw it I snapped it up, lickety split.

Seriously fantastic!

China Shop
21 Puffs on the Cassette Masters
Ripped from CDR @320 includes artwork
Part 1
Part 2

Atomic Notions EP, 1981

4 comments:

Steve Lafreniere said...

I've been playing this non-stop for a week, all through the flu and on into Spring.

spavid said...

I actually have an original cd-r of this that was sent for purposes of reviewing for a magazine (which I did), but on my copy the last two tracks wouldn't play for some reason. CD-R rot perhaps, or maybe just a bum burn. The company that was selling downloads of this, Anthology Recordings, has since scrubbed their website, (supposedly temporarily). Thanks for sharing this.

I dedicated an entry to China Shop's Atomic Notions ep on my blog last year:

http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/2010/01/china-shop-atomic-notions-ep-1981.html

Ovipositor said...

@spavid - Yes, It was your Atomic Notions post on WO that inspired me to go ahead with the whole thing, seeing Steve Cohen's comment. Thanks for the image of the ep. Love your blog!

Supersonic75 said...

Just saw your blog for the first time. Super-cool stuff, informative comments and definitely thanks for this one.......